Saturday 4 October 2008

Why forgiveness


I believe if there are any two things which are essential in our Christian walk, they are Charity and Forgiveness.
These two encapsulate the Love of Christ.
To forgive is a divine attribute. It is to pardon or excuse someone from blame for an offence or misdeed.
The scriptures refer to forgiveness in two ways.
The Lord commands us to repent of our sins and seek His forgiveness.
He also commands us to forgive those who have offended or hurt us.
Who, among us, at one time or another, has not been in need of forgiveness and in need of forgiving others! If we do not forgive, we cannot ourselves be forgiven.

I CANNOT COMPREHEND HIS POWERS, HIS MAJESTY, HIS PERFECTIONS. BUT I DO UNDERSTAND SOMETHING OF HIS LOVE, HIS COMPASSION, HIS MERCY.THERE IS NO BURDEN HE CANNOT LIFT.THERE IS NO HEART HE CANNOT PURIFY AND FILL WITH JOY. THERE IS NO LIFE HE CANNOT CHANGE AND RESTORE, WHEN ONE IS OBEDIENT TO HIS TEACHINGS.THERE IS NO STRUGGLE FOR WHICH THE ATONEMENT IS NOT SUFFICIENT.

Can we fully appreciate these words?
THROUGH THE ATONEMENT OF JESUS CHRIST THERE IS NOTHING WHICH WE CANNOT BE FORGIVEN FOR.
I have carried these words with me in my scriptures for most of the time I have been in the Church. They have given me HOPE and encouragement on many occasions.
We do indeed have a loving and forgiving God.
It is wonderful to know that whatever I may have done, however short of Heavenly Fathers requirements I may have fallen, A way to total forgiveness is open to ME, And open to YOU.

Sin is a heavy burden. It brings the tenseness of guilt, and the anguish of knowing that we have acted against the will of our Father in Heaven. It brings lingering remorse as we realize that, because of our actions, we may have hurt others and prevented ourselves from receiving blessings our Father has been ready to give us.
Because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can receive forgiveness for our sins through sincere and complete repentance. Sinfulness brings suffering and pain, but the Lord's forgiveness brings relief, comfort, and joy.
The Lord has promised: "Behold, he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more" "Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool" (Isaiah 1:18).
We can experience this miracle, whether we need to repent of serious sins or day-to-day weaknesses. Just as the Savior pleaded with people anciently, He pleads with us today: "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. "For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light" (Matthew 11:28–30). "Will ye not now return unto me, and repent of your sins, and be converted, that I may heal you? "Yea, verily I say unto you, if ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life. Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me"

Forgiving Others.
In addition to seeking forgiveness for our own sins, we must be willing to forgive others. The Lord said: "Ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiven not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin. I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men"
In the everyday circumstances of life, we will surely be wronged by other people—sometimes innocently and sometimes intentionally. It is easy to become bitter or angry or vengeful in such situations, but this is not the Lord's way. The Savior counseled, "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you" (Matthew 5:44). He set the perfect example of forgiveness when He was on the cross. Referring to the Roman soldiers who had crucified Him, He prayed, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do" (Luke 23:34).
We should pray for strength to forgive those who have wronged us, and we should abandon feelings of anger, bitterness, or revenge. We should also look for the good in others rather than focusing on their faults and magnifying their weaknesses. God will be the judge of others' harmful actions.
When my ex wife left me for a family friend, I lost my children along with her. We worked on a private country estate in a joint contract with a tied cottage that went along with the job. Her leaving meant I lost my job and home also. I seemed to have lost everything which mattered to me in my life. For years, I harbored a deep hatred for the man who took all this from me. Eventually, I came to realise that the only person being hurt by my hatred was myself. I also came to understand the Gospel Principle of forgiveness. I wrote a letter to my ex wife and told her that I forgave her and her (by then) new husband. Whatever she or he made of that letter, I do not know. But it made a huge difference to me and I was then able to get on with my life without recriminations and the poison of hatred.
May we show Christlike Love, for others.
May we pray to be forgiven our own sins and transgrssions.

No comments: